Often I hear people ask if affiliate marketing still works in 2021 and beyond.
Or even worse, people saying that affiliate marketing does not work (anymore).
Affiliate marketing teaching industry called a scam.
On a popular marketing forum, a woman, who we call for the sake of privacy “Jane”, bought a lot of products “how to”… tried to make some money from affiliate marketing.
She has applied for lots of affiliate links.
Despite applying for affiliate links, she has absolutely no idea how to promote anything to make money.
Here is what she wrote on the forum:
“Are there any products or services that are actual 1,2,3 steps and actually produce money within 24 hrs or sooner? I don’t have time to waste on setting up emails, websites, searching online for videos to watch, etc… “
Quite a few seasoned marketers jumped in with practical advice. All the strategies they suggested would work to build a long-term sustainable business. Unfortunately, they all required that she actually stepped up to the plate and did some work.
She was quite rude in her replies to these very generous offers of help. What was really interesting was many people totally agreed with her. They all wanted a magic press one button solution. Because they couldn’t make half a million bucks in a morning, they all declared unanimously “that Internet marketing (affiliate marketing teaching industry) was a scam”.
One of those seasoned marketers (20 years plus) that also stepped up was “Joe” (for the sake of privacy, we call him Joe) and this is what he answered to her and those that agreed with her.
You asked for a simple step-by-step plan. Here is mine to help you become an affiliate marketer (that’s how I make my full-time income, so I’m not blowing smoke here)…
1. You can’t do anything without someone to sell to. Yes, I said that dirty word, ‘sell’. Affiliate marketing is about recommending a product to other people, hoping that they buy it and you make a commission. Call it urging, suggesting, promoting or whatever, but in reality, you are selling. If you are selling online products, have an online audience: a YouTube channel. A website that has regular visitors, an email list you can send messages to, or, less effective in my experience, some source of traffic you can buy. Of course, there are other traffic sources, but hopefully, you get the idea.
Traffic – people to sell to – isn’t optional. You can apply to be an affiliate for hundreds of products without it, but you won’t have anyone to sell them to.
2. An understanding of what the people in your chosen traffic source want to buy. If, for example, you’ve built an email list of people who are interested in dog training, there would be no point in sending them recommendations for cat products. One or two might buy, but the rest would be turned off and less likely to trust you when you find an excellent doggy product.
A marketing forum (like JVZoo and Clickbank) is primarily about Internet marketing products, so if you want to sell the products you find there, you will need a list or traffic source that is Internet marketing aware.
It is a numbers game. If you are really good and have a very targeted traffic source, you MIGHT sell one product to every ten people you send to the affiliate link (i.e., the product’s sales page). But even though that may sound like a lot, the reality is that even if you are very good, only one in 20 of your traffic (if you are lucky) will even click the link. Do the math. Your email list of 1000 people MIGHT result in 50 people clicking your link, and of those 50, only 5 might buy.
I used an email list as an example because a well-targeted, well warmed up, highly responsive list is one of the best traffic sources for an affiliate marketer.
3. A good relationship with your traffic. Whether that is the people on your list, the people who read your blog, the subscribers to your YouTube channel, or anything else. People buy from people they like and trust. And that trust and likeability have to be built up over time. That’s why affiliate marketing is not generally a quick, make money by tomorrow, business.
4. Only recommend products you know are good. Anyone can apply to be an affiliate for products sold on here (and other platforms). And quite often you’ll get approved. But why would you want to be approved? If you think that most of the products on sale are scammy and deceptive, surely you wouldn’t want to associate your name and reputation with them? I know a lot do, but personally, I wouldn’t trust most of them and certainly wouldn’t buy anything they recommend. So what YOU must do is buy products, test them out and write about your experiences with the few you find that are good.
I know that involves spending money, but the alternative is making recommendations for products that you have no idea if they are good or not. If you buy a really crappy product on my recommendation, would you trust the next thing I recommend? I thought not.
5. Learn all you can from people who are in this business successfully. What works today might not work tomorrow. What works for me might not suit your style. What is legal today might be legislated against tomorrow. The business is constantly changing, and the successful affiliate marketers are those who are forever looking for new ideas, refining old ones, and working out new ways to do things on their own.
Continual education is key. Now, I know you think that this all seems like a lot of effort. You are right. Affiliate marketing – at least affiliate marketing for people who want to make more than chump change – IS hard work. And don’t let products that want to paint you a push-button, instant riches, ‘look at my new Porsche’ lie deceive you.
The tiger and the donkey
The donkey told the tiger: ′′The grass is blue”.
The tiger replied: ′′No, the grass is green”.
The discussion became heated, and the two submitted the issue to the lion, King of the Jungle.
Before reaching the clearing in the forest where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey started braying: ′′Your Highness, is it true that grass is blue?”.
The lion replied: “True, the grass is blue”.
The donkey rushed forward and continued: ′′The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts me and annoys me please punish him”.
The king then declared: ′′I will punish The tiger with 5 years of silence”.
The donkey jumped for joy and went on his way, content and repeating: ′′The grass is blue”…
The tiger accepted his punishment, but he asked the lion: ′′Your Majesty, why have you punished me, after all, the grass is green?”
The lion replied: ′′In fact, the grass is green”.
The tiger asked: ′′So why do you punish me?”
The lion replied: ′′The punishment has nothing to do with whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because you, a brave, intelligent creature, waste time arguing with a donkey, and then come and bother me with a silly question”.
Moral of the story: teach those who will learn, rather than bickering with those who won’t.
Why affiliate marketing does not work for you
Affiliate marketing is not as easy as people say, nor is it a “get rich quick” system. With the right attitude and willingness to invest time (and money), hard work, you will become successful.
Building a sustainable, long-term business in affiliate marketing takes time and hard work.
It all begins with choosing a profitable niche, then you have to build a website to be present on the wild wild web (www.). Write quality content that people want to read.
Select the best affiliate products for your niche.
Build your tribe of raving fans who buy those recommended products.
That my friends take time, a lot of time.
If you hate all that, find a different way to make money – online or off – because affiliate marketing will not work for you.
Read also: 7 steps to be a successful affiliate marketer, that’s it!
I’m excited to share my online business experience here with ya’ll in hopes it helps and/or motivates others on their own journey to success.
Are you that person? Will you be one of those 50 Pioneers?
To become a Pioneer, you will need to fill in an application form and after reviewing I will get back at you with my decision as soon as possible.
You will get expert training, a community of helpful members and a guide (me) at zero cost!
All the best,
Thank you for your time. All you have to do now is click one of the buttons below to share with people you know or leave a comment. I thank you if you do ?